It's important to be prepared prior to an emergency or disaster and to connect with neighbors in advance. The Vermont Emergency Management offers these helpful free booklets about what to do in the case of an emergency:
The Importance of Neighbors During an Emergency
Try and connect with neighbors so you can seek or provide support when it may be needed. Talk to your neighbors about special equipment (e.g. generators, wood stove, chain saw) or special skills you might have. Decide who will check on elderly or disabled neighbors. Share plans and communicate in advance.
Town Phone Numbers
- Call 911 for emergencies.
- Cavendish’s Emergency Management Coordinator: Mike Ripley
- Cavendish’s Emergency Shelter: Cavendish Town Elementary School, 573 Main Street, Proctorsville| Ph. 226-7758 The Cavendish Baptist Church, 2258 Main Street, has emergency shelter capability, and will be used for assistance during times of extended power outage so community can take showers and have a hot meal. | Ph. 226-7131 The Proctorsville Fire Department is also designated as an emergency shelter. | Ph 226-7281
- Call the town office, during normal working hours, for non-emergencies | Ph. 226-7292
- Cavendish Fire Department | Ph. 226-7790
- Proctorsville Fire Department | Ph. 226-7281
- Cavendish Town Elementary School | Ph. 226-7758
- Green Mountain Union High School | Ph. 875-2146
- Town Garage | Ph. 226-7294
- Transfer Station | Ph. 226-7743
- Water Treatment Plant | Ph. 226-7743
- Cavendish Fletcher Community Library | Ph. 226-7503
- Green Mountain Power Outage Center
- Report an outage
- Ludlow Electric | Ph. 228-7766
- TDS | Ph. 1-866-571-6662
- Wi-Fi: Free public access (does not require a password) is available at the Cavendish Town Elementary School and Library. You need to be in close proximity, but not in the building, to pick up service. The Wi-Fi link will appear as CTES. Ludlow offers a number of free services in the following locations including: Fletcher Library; Dunkin Donuts; TDS; and Black River Good Neighbors.